My mom makes this recipe, adapted from the Silver Palate cookbook. We have it at almost every holiday dinner, and my mom and I both take it to potlucks all the time and get mad compliments.
- 1 c wild rice
- 1 c brown rice
- 1 c pecan halves, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (Craisins)
- Grated rind of 1 large orange
- 1/2 c chopped fresh mint
- 3-4 tbsp chopped chives (or 4 scallions thinly sliced)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/3 c fresh orange juice (or concentrate)
- 1 t salt, ground pepper to taste
Cook rice in lightly salted water: 1 3/4 c and 45-55 min for the wild; 2 c and 30-40 min for the brown. Drain if necessary. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Adjust seasonings to taste. Let mixture stand for 2 hours to let flavors develop. Serve at room temperature. 6-10 servings.
If you don’t like cranberries, use only raisins, and vice versa. The wild rice should be cooked until the kernels split and are tender.